The Pac-12 Women’s Football Player of the Week was revealed after the final round of NCAA competition in the 2021 fall season. Two outstanding personalities from Oregon and one from USC received the award this week.
ATTACKING PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Croix Bethune, Jr., USC (Alpharetta, Georgia)
1 game, 1 goal, 1 assist, 3 points
- The junior midfielder led USC to a 2-1 comeback win over the previously undefeated Oregon State on Friday, scoring the decisive goal and helping the game winner kick off conference play for the 2021 season.
- Steal an outlet try and beat a Beaver defender in dribble to level the game in the first half.
- He ran down a long ball in the 18-yard space, stole it from the Beaver defender in front of her, and then passed teammate Penelope Hocking in front of the winner’s goal in the 85th minute.
- Bethune controlled midfield throughout the game, making numerous takeaways to keep the Beavers down to just two shots in the second half.
DEFENSE PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Chai Cortez, Sr., Oregon (Kahului, Hawaii)
1 game, 110 minutes
- The senior defender helped Oregon become the first team to eliminate UCLA number 3 that season with a goalless draw on Friday.
- Teamed up with UCLA’s Maricarmen Reyes, who scored a goal for Mexico in their Colombia game earlier this week and limited them to one attempt.
- Friday’s game marked Oregon’s first UCLA shutout in programming history. It was the first time in a little over three years that a team excluded the Bruins at Annenberg Stadium.
GOALKEEPER OF THE WEEK: Leah Freeman, So., Oregon (Berkeley, California)
1 game, 6 saves, 0 allowed goals, 110 minutes
- He made six saves when Oregon became the first team to knock out UCLA No. 3 in a 0-0 draw that season.
- The second goalkeeper shot back to back after a UCLA free kick in the 60th minute and then made the save of the night in the 69th minute when UCLA’s Sunshine Fontes hit a ball behind Oregon’s defensive line, but Freeman stormed the net Fontes’ striking head from the 18th to choke.
- This was Freeman’s third consecutive shutout and the fifth of the season, the second most common in the Pac-12.
Attacking Player of the Week: Quincy Bonds, ARIZ; Nicole Douglas, ASU; Karlie Lema, CAL; Shanade Hopcroft, COLO; Maya Doms, STAN; Summer Yates, WASH; Enzi Broussard, WSU.
Defensive Player of the Week: Ava McCray, ARIZ; Sydney Collins, California; Hannah Sharts, COLO; Naomi Girma, STAN; Lilly Reale, UCLA; Zoe Burns, USC, Jessika Cowart, WASH; Mykiaa Minniss, WSU.
Goalkeeper of the Week: Hope Hisey, ARIZ; Katie Meyer, STAN; Anna Smith, USC; Lauren Brzykcy, UCLA; Marissa Zucchetto, WSU.