Kalvin Phillips could be at the top of Manchester United’s transfer hit list next summer. Andrew Matthews / PA Images via Getty Images
The summer transfer window is closed for the top leagues in Europe! After a summer of international football, countless clubs waited until the last minute to make their transfers. Check out all the major deals here and see how we rated the biggest signings. But just because the window is closed until January doesn’t mean the rumors don’t get any further.
TOP STORY: Man Utd turns to Leeds’ Phillips
Long associated with West Ham United Declan rice, Manchester United is now turning its attention to Leeds United Kalvin Phillips, according to The Daily Star.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will make a midfielder a priority next summer and the Red Devils may abandon their interest in Rice as the Hammers’ transfer valuation is £ 90m higher than United is willing to pay.
The favorite is said to be signed with Liverpool Jude Bellingham from Borussia Dortmund, Phillips is Man United’s new target.
But they may have trouble convincing Phillips to leave Elland Road for Old Trafford. The 25-year-old is a Leeds born and raised fan and moving to the club’s arch-rivals would be controversial. He has a contract that runs until 2024 and is worth around £ 60 million.
Man United attracted Leeds stars like Eric Cantona, Rio Ferdinand and Alan Smith in the Premier League era.
– ESPN + guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (USA)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily to ESPN + (US only)
– You don’t have ESPN? Get instant access
09:57 a.m. CEST: Roma midfielder Steven Nzonzi is close to signing for Qatari club Al Rayyan, according to Calciomercato.
Nzonzi’s contract with Roma expires next summer and he has not played for Jose Mourinho’s side this season.
The 32-year-old has until September 30 to secure a deal with Al Rayyan, who signed Everton’s James Rodriguez last week, before the transfer deadline expires.
09.00 a.m. CEST: Paris Saint-Germain striker Kylian Mbappe “See you at Real Madrid,” said the Spanish sports newspaper AS.
Mbappe was spotted on camera complaining on the bench after being substituted in PSG’s 2-0 win over Montpellier at the weekend that team-mate Neymar hadn’t passed enough on to him.
AS now report that “his recent argument with Neymar and criticism from fans and the press have reinforced his idea of joining Real Madrid in January.”
PAPER CLAP (by Danny Lewis)
– Ajax contacted the representatives of FC Dallas Youngster Ricardo Pepisays journalist Chris Smith. The 18-year-old has shown promise in Major League Soccer, scoring 12 goals and two assists in 24 games, while scoring one goal and providing two assists in his US international debut against Honduras earlier this month.
– Liverpool show interest in signing the Sampdoria winger Mikkel Damsgaard, reports Calciomercato. However, there will be competition for the 21-year-old as Inter Milan and Juventus also look to the Danish international who impressed at Euro 2020.
– In an interview with Diario Sport, Benfica left-back Alejandro Grimaldo says he hopes to return one day to play for Barcelona. The 26 year old said, “I thought when I left it was a goodbye, not a goodbye. I was there for eight years. I am very happy at Benfica, I feel important here. But it’s clear, Barcelona is my home and I love it very much. ”Grimaldo started at Valencia before moving to Barca in 2008. He spent eight years with the club before moving to Benfica. However, he never appeared on Barca’s first team and played 92 games for the “B” team.
– AS Roma coach Jose Mourinho wants a new midfielder and Tottenham Hotspurs Tanguy Ndombele could be the right man, according to Calciomercato. It is reported that Mourinho wants a player with athleticism and that the Frenchman is seen as well suited – although his contract with Spurs runs until 2025. Ndombele, 24, had a frosty relationship with Mourinho when they were together at Spurs.
– Barcelona start work on a new contract for Ansu Fati, said Diario Sport, with the 18-year-old scoring on Sunday on a triumphant return from a knee injury that lasted 10 months. His last renewal was signed in December 2019, and there is a realization that his elevated status within the club means they must make an effort to review the agreement.