Chelsea have been offered the opportunity to sign Thiago Silva once his contract with Paris Saint-Germain expires, sources told ESPN.
The 35-year-old will play his last game for PSG in the Champions League final against Bayern Munich on Sunday before deciding on his next move.
– – Stream FC Daily on ESPN + (USA only)
– Insider Notebook: Arsenal, Man City Battle for Aouar
Silva has been offered a two-year contract by Fiorentina and would likely expect the same at Stamford Bridge, although he will turn 36 in September.
• Sources: Barca Board Consider Selling Messi
• Maguire arrested after fighting on Greek island
• Koeman struggles to keep Messi at Barca
• Sources: Chelsea offered PSG’s Silva
• COVID club loan from rivals for UEL tie
• Chelsea sign ex-Barca youth Mbuyamba
Chelsea are in the defensive reinforcement market as they continue to pursue a deal for Leicester City left-back Ben Chilwell but are less advanced in finding a center-back.
West Ham’s Declan Rice, Atletico Madrid’s Jose Gimenez and Brighton’s Lewis Dunk are all possible candidates, but any transfer involving these three players would be complicated and expensive.
Silva is available for free and should be interested in a move to the Premier League.
Head coach Frank Lampard has to weigh the unquestionable experience that Silva would bring with him after playing 89 caps for Brazil and winning eight league titles with PSG and AC Milan. He fears the pace and physicality of English football cannot cope with his age.
Meanwhile, Chelsea remain confident of reaching an agreement to sign Bayer Leverkusen’s Kai Havertz, which is expected to cost more than £ 75m in ongoing talks.